During the final days of the Trump Administration, officials at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) launched a dangerous and insidious pilot program known as Medicare Direct Contracting.
Left unchecked, this program would allow profit-hungry Direct Contracting Entities (DCEs) to manage the care of up to 30 million Traditional Medicare beneficiaries. These entities, which have received a huge influx of money from private equity, have every incentive to frustrate patients and deny medically necessary care.
Unless we stop DCEs, these entities could spell the end of Medicare as a public, nonprofit, social insurance program.
Dr. Ana Malinow explains Direct Contracting Entities
Learn more about Medicare Direct Contracting
- Fact sheet: Direct Contracting: Quietly Handing Medicare to Wall Street
- Policy primer: Medicare Direct Contracting
- PowerPoint: Direct Contracting: Handing Traditional Medicare to Wall Street (developed by Dr. Ed Weisbart; long version and activist version also available)
Doctors deliver petitions directly to HHS
On November 30, 2021, PNHP president Dr. Susan Rogers led a delegation to the doorsteps of the Dept. of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C. to deliver 13,000+ petitions demanding an end to Medicare Direct Contracting.
If you’d like to JOIN our fight against Medicare Direct Contracting, please call your member of Congress at (202) 224-3121 and ask them to demand HHS end this dangerous and insidious program; hold hearings on DCEs; and establish Congressional oversight of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI). You can also:
- Sign and share our petition calling on the Biden Administration to end DCEs
- Watch and share the livestream of our Nov. 30 press event in Washington, D.C.
- Download and print our Traditional Medicare Death Certificate (available in one-page and large-scale versions)
- Read our press release: “Doctors to Biden: Don’t hand Medicare to Wall Street investors”