As health professionals, policymakers, and patients continue to grapple with COVID-19, you may be asking, “What can I do right now to help advance the cause of health care justice?”
In addition to following CDC guidelines on social distancing, we encourage you to take the following 10 steps to address the current crisis, and to build a system that will make us healthier, more just, and better prepared for future public health crises.
- Contact lapsed PNHP members and urge them to renew their membership. Email email@example.com for a list of lapsed members in your community.
- Maintain your Medicare for All advocacy using tools such as videoconferencing and phone trees. See PNHP’s Digital Organizing Swaps guide for detailed suggestions.
- Share information from reliable sources, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and PNHP’s dedicated coronavirus page, on social media.
- Call attention to the needs of marginalized communities, including undocumented immigrants, tribal populations, and people with disabilities. Go HERE for a list of resources.
- Share your story as someone on the front lines of this pandemic. Americans are scared and frustrated, and they want to hear from medical professionals who are fighting COVID-19. Use THIS organizing toolkit to get started.
- Read, sign, and share THIS important letter from the Committee to Protect Medicare demanding widespread COVID-19 testing, a national shelter-in-place order, and increased production of personal protective equipment.
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor of your local news outlet explaining how Medicare for All would improve our response to public health emergencies. Go HERE for letter and op-ed guidelines.
- Call your congressional representatives at (202) 224-3121 and urge them to fight for free testing and treatment for COVID-19 patients. Also, urge them to co-sponsor single-payer legislation, such as H.R. 1384 in the House and S. 1129 in the Senate.
- Support the future of our movement by encouraging a medical or health professional student to join Students for a National Health Program (SNaHP) for FREE. You can also encourage active SNaHP members to apply for a leadership position.
- Help sustain the cause of health care justice by pledging a generous monthly contribution. Visit pnhp.org/donate TODAY!
Together, we will strive to contain the spread of this virus, treat patients in need of medical intervention, and win the single-payer system that all Americans need and deserve.