Each month during 2020, PNHP will focus on a specific, concrete “kitchen table” issue that requires fundamental reform (like single payer), not minor tweaks (like a public option). See below for materials related to this month’s issue, COVID-19 and frontline health care workers, and scroll to the bottom for a list of additional topics.
COVID-19 endangers frontline health workers (July 2020)
Health care workers are often hailed as heroes, but too many lack even the most basic protections as they work to care for patients suffering from COVID-19. Health care workers have been exposed to the virus; laid off or furloughed by the millions; and been denied living wages, paid sick leave, and even health coverage.
We encourage you to share the materials below with your colleagues, family members, friends, and neighbors during the month of July to remind them that badly needed worker protections are a kitchen table issue…and that Medicare for All is a necessary part of the solution.
Complete frontline health workers toolkit
- One-page handout: COVID-19 and frontline health care workers: We can do better
- PowerPoint slides: On the Front Line of Fighting COVID-19 (by PNHP-MO chair Dr. Ed Weisbart)
- Social media: Share on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
- Recent research: “Health Insurance Status and Risk Factors for Poor Outcomes with COVID-19 Among U.S. Health Care Workers: A Cross-Sectional Study” (by PNHP co-founders Drs. David Himmelstein and Steffie Woolhandler in the Annals of Internal Medicine)
- Organizing toolkit: Organizing in a pandemic (also available in PDF and Google Doc formats)
- Webinar: Dr. Raina Young on COVID-19 and frontline health workers
- Video: Stories from a COVID-19 ward (interview with a Minn. nurse, produced by PNHP-MN)
- Video: Cancel rent. Medicare for All. Nurse out. (testimonial from a New York nurse, produced by the Campaign for New York Health)
- Radio outreach: Talk radio call-in scripts
- Newspaper outreach: Sample letters to the editor
If you need assistance with events or actions, contact the PNHP organizing team at firstname.lastname@example.org. For help with messaging materials, contact PNHP communications specialist Clare Fauke at email@example.com.
If you would like to provide expertise or help develop materials for future Kitchen Table topics, please contact PNHP president-elect Dr. Susan Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webinar: Dr. Raina Young on COVID-19 and frontline health workers
Video: Stories from a COVID-19 ward
Video: Cancel rent. Medicare for All. Nurse out.
TODAY 12PM: Join @nynurses Michelle at Virtual Rally to #PassNYHealth! @DickGottfried @NYSenatorRivera, @JumaaneWilliams, @KarinesReyes87 @thenyic, @CaringMajority, @northwestbronx, @LIActivist &more!
— Campaign for New York Health 🍎 (@NYHCampaign) May 20, 2020
Review previous installments of the Kitchen Table Campaign, and stay tuned for additional topics throughout 2020:
- Surprise billing (January)
- Racial health inequities (February)
- Rural health (March)
- Pandemics and public health emergencies (Spring)
- COVID-19 and racial health inequities (Spring)
- COVID-19 endangers health care workers (July)
- COVID-19 and delays for non-COVID care (future)
- COVID-19 and unmet mental health needs (future)
- High drug prices (future)
- Substance abuse and opioids (future)
- Maternal and reproductive health (future)