Throughout 2020, PNHP will focus on a specific, concrete “kitchen table” issue that requires fundamental reform (like single payer), not minor tweaks (like a public option). See below for materials related to our spring topic, COVID-19 and racial health inequities, and scroll to the bottom for a list of additional topics.
COVID-19 exacerbates racial inequities (Spring 2020)
African Americans are dying at a disproportionately higher rate from COVID-19, tribal populations suffer from a lack of testing and treatment options, and many undocumented immigrants lack coverage or avoid medical care because of the fear of deportation. COVID-19 has exacerbated the racial inequities that have always plagued U.S. health care, and that demand an urgent and focused response.
We encourage you to share the materials below with your colleagues, family members, friends, and neighbors during the spring of 2020 to remind them that the racial inequities laid bare by COVID-19 are a kitchen table issue…and that Medicare for All is a necessary part of the solution.
Complete COVID-19 racial inequities toolkit
- One-page handout: COVID-19 exacerbates America’s health inequities
- Webinar: Role of racism and for-profit health care in pandemic response failures (organized by PNHP NY Metro and featuring PNHP national coordinator Dr. Claudia Fegan)
- Webinar: COVID-19 and racial disparities (hosted by ProPublica and featuring Dr. David Ansell)
- Sign-on letter: Medical professionals in support of immigrants in light of COVID-19 (supported by numerous student medical organizations, including Students for a National Health Program)
- “Racial Health Disparities and Covid-19 — Caution and Context” Merlin Chowkwanyun, Ph.D., M.P.H., and Adolph L. Reed, Jr., Ph.D. caution that “disparity figures without explanatory context can perpetuate harmful myths and misunderstandings.”
- Social media: Share on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
If you need assistance with events or actions, contact the PNHP organizing team at email@example.com. For help with messaging materials, contact PNHP communications specialist Clare Fauke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to provide expertise or help develop materials for future Kitchen Table topics, please contact PNHP president-elect Dr. Susan Rogers at email@example.com.
Webinar: Dr. Claudia Fegan on the roles of racism and for-profit health care in U.S. COVID-19 response
Webinar: Dr. David Ansell on COVID-19 and racial disparities
Review previous installments of the Kitchen Table Campaign, and stay tuned for additional topics throughout 2020:
- Surprise billing (January)
- Racial health inequities (February)
- Rural health (March)
- Pandemics and public health emergencies (Spring)
- COVID-19 and racial health inequities (Spring)
- COVID-19 endangers health care workers (July)
- COVID-19 and delays for non-COVID care (future)
- COVID-19 and unmet mental health needs (future)
- High drug prices (future)
- Substance abuse and opioids (future)
- Maternal and reproductive health (future)