PNHP is committed to focusing on specific “Kitchen Table” issues, to show how single-payer Medicare for All would address Americans’ most pressing health care problems. See below for materials related to our Summer 2023 issue, the so-called “Medicare Advantage” program, and scroll to the bottom for a list of additional topics.
Medicare Disadvantage (Summer 2023)
What happened when policymakers invited big insurance companies like Cigna and UnitedHealthcare to administer Medicare benefits? Nothing good. These companies followed the same old script: restricting seniors’ choice of doctor, delaying or denying medically necessary care, and laughing all the way to the bank.
We encourage you to share the materials below with your colleagues, family members, friends, and neighbors during the summer of 2023 to remind them that the growth of Medicare Advantage is a kitchen table issue…and that Medicare for All would deliver better coverage, more meaningful choices, and true financial freedom.
Learn more about Medicare Advantage
- One-pager: Medicare Advantage; Bad for Patients, Great for Profiteers
- Policy primer: The Problems with Medicare Advantage
- Comparison chart: Medicare Advantage vs. Medicare for All
- PNHP comment: CMS Should Terminate the Medicare Advantage Program
- PowerPoint slides: Don’t Let Naked Profiteering Destroy our Medicare
Dr. Ed Weisbart: Don’t let naked profiteering destroy our Medicare
Presented by PNHP national board secretary Dr. Ed Weisbart to members of Puget Sound Advocates for Retirement Action (PSARA) on March 20, 2023. PowerPoint slides available HERE.
Survey for physicians and Medicare beneficiaries
- Short survey for Medicare beneficiaries (online and print versions)
- Short survey for physicians (online and print versions)
- One-page fact sheet to accompany the survey
- Medicare Advantage petition, available at pnhp.org/MAPetition
We urge our members and chapters to distribute these surveys at public events! Questions? Email PNHP national organizer Lori Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day of action in Washington, D.C.
PNHP was proud to join our friends at Be a Hero, Social Security Works, Public Citizen, and National Nurses United—along with dozens of New York City retirees, legislative champions, and patients affected by Medicare Advantage—for a DC Day of Action on July 25, 2023.
Host a house party in support of our MA campaign
- Complete house party planning guide, including FAQs, a checklist, and a sample house party agenda
- Complete house party communications guide, including sample language for emails, texts, voicemails, and social media posts
- Set up your very own personal fundraising page to fight Medicare privatization
Fighting profiteering in the Medicare program is one of the main priorities of PNHP’s 35th anniversary campaign. Questions? Email PNHP national organizer Lori Clark at email@example.com.
Social media materials
Download our series of eight (8) “scam alert” graphics HERE, and an additional Medicare Advantage meme HERE. Questions about social media? Email PNHP communications specialist Dixon Galvez-Searle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review previous installments of the Kitchen Table Campaign, and stay tuned for additional topics in the future:
- Surprise billing (January 2020)
- Racial health inequities (February 2020)
- Rural health (March 2020)
- Pandemics and public health emergencies (April 2020)
- COVID-19 and racial health inequities (Spring 2020)
- COVID-19 endangers health care workers (Summer 2020)
- Measuring candidate health plans (Fall 2020)
- Mental health care (Spring 2021)
- Maternal mortality (Summer 2021)