FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 7, 2018
Contact: Clare Fauke, Physicians for a National Health Program, 312-782-6006, firstname.lastname@example.org
- WHAT: “Tearing Down Barriers To Care” rally for Medicare-for-All and immigrant care
- WHO: More than 100 doctors from Physicians for a National Health Program; Women’s March San Diego; Planned Parenthood San Diego; Border Angels
- WHEN: Friday, Nov. 9 from 5:00-5:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Neighborhood Park, Corner of West F Street & Front Street (across from the I.C.E. Building)
San Diego — Wearing their scrubs and white coats, more than 100 doctors and medical students will rally on Friday to demand a single-payer, Medicare for All national health system. The theme of the rally is “Tearing Down Barriers to Care,” and includes calls to protect care for immigrant families and other underserved populations.
Contrary to claims by some elected officials that immigrants are a drain on public services, recent studies show that immigrants use far less health care than non-immigrants, and actually subsidize the care of U.S. citizens through payments into both private and public insurance plans.
“As a primary care physician, I see patients every day that avoid necessary care because of cost,” said Dr. Julie Sierra, a San Diego-based doctor. “As doctors, we can no longer sit on the sidelines while our patients suffer. We must demand a single-payer national health program that includes everyone living in the U.S.”
- Dr. Julie Sierra is a primary care physician at UC San Diego Health. She has supplied medical care to underserved populations around the world, including El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Cuba.
- Dr. Nicte Mejia is Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School and Director of Neurology Community Health, Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Mejia was born in Guatemala of Mexican and Salvadoran parents.
- Milad Torabi is an aspiring physician and undocumented immigrant. He is a DACA recipient, and founding board member of the San Diego Border Dreamers (SDBD).
- Priya Patel is a leader of the Women’s March San Diego.
Many of the doctors are in San Diego this weekend for the annual meeting of Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP), nonprofit research and educational organization of more than 22,000 doctors and health professionals who support Medicare for All. The theme of this year’s conference is “Tearing Down Barriers to Care.”